Vital Elements of a Fleet Safety Program
An effective fleet safety program must be comprehensive, up-to-date and implemented as part of your company’s safety culture.
- Identify All of Your Drivers - Businesses may not be aware of the full extent of their non-owned vehicle exposure. You should identify everyone who drives on behalf of the business, even those employees that use personal and/or rented vehicles.
- Management Commitment - Leadership support of the program can help assure that the program is used.
- Screen and Select Drivers Carefully - This can help create a reliable, safe team. Establish clear hiring standards for anyone who drives on company related business.
- Train Drivers - This ensures all drivers understand vehicle safety policies and procedures. All drivers should have access to information on safe driving strategies and techniques, including instruction in defensive driving.
Let us assist you in training your employees! Register for Training
- Manage Drivers on an Ongoing Basis - This is essential to ensure that drivers are following fleet safety rules and driving safely.
- Managing Accidents - This can mitigate accident costs. It also helps you to understand your exposures and can reduce the potential for future losses.
- Establishing Written Policies and Procedures - Provides clear consistent expectations.
- Formulate a Plan for Vehicle Inspection, Repair and Maintenance - This can help reduce costly, unexpected breakdowns, and can assist in avoiding accidents due to faulty equipment.